CV for Vincent Cautaerts
Dr Vincent Cautaerts|
Cipher Brain SPRL
927, chaussï¿½ de Haecht
During my PhD (April 1997-March 2000), I made extensive numerical
simulations. To this effect, I wrote programs, libraries to easily
reuse the code, post-processing programs, scripts for data extraction,
classification and plotting,... All of this was made essentially in
C, C++ and Perl.
I've then worked from May 2000 to June 2002 for
in the division
TRW-ISCS as a consultant.
My main projects were:
- E-business site architecture development (mostly in
- E.A.I.(Enterprise Application Integration) implementation
auditing and development.
- J.I.T.(Just In Time) Synchronous managing of a factory, in Tcl/Tk.
Since June 2002, I'm an independant consultant. My main projects were/are:
- E-business site maintenance and enhancements, in Java
- Newspaper web site: debugging, maintenance and enhancements
of a existing program to syndicate and publish a high volume web site
for a newspaper, in Perl.
- Searches of articles from a newspaper archive, in Java and PHP.
- Archiving of all published articles and pictures, for a newspaper company. In Java.
- Main computer languages used:
Java, Perl, PHP, Bash, C++, C, Tcl/Tk, XML&XSL
- Other computer languages used: Basic, Logo, Assembler,
- Broad experience in programming.
- Publications in an computer magazine (about 10 pages)
- Good knowledge of UNIX, and particularly
Good understanding of LaTeX.
- Two years of professional development in server-side Java (see
- Extensive interest and knowledge in open source and free software projects,
like Apache (httpd, ant, maven,...), Jakarta (commons, log4j, Lucene, struts, tomcat,...),
- Use of different IDE (Integrated Development Environment) depending on project
constraints, and team choice (mainly NetBeans and Eclipse).
- Civil Engineer in Physics (great distinction) at
(Universitï¿½Libre de Bruxelles) (1991-1996)
- Fifth and last year partly made (6 months) in England, at
- TFE ("Travail de Fin d'Etude", about the same as a "Master
titled Comparative Study of high bit-rate soliton sources and ultra-short
pulses in a stretched-pulse mode-locked Ytterbium laser.
- 6 months of intensive Japanese course at the "International
Students Center" of "Osaka University". (Japan) (1996)
- PhD in "Telecommunication Engineering"
at "Osaka University" (Japan) from April 1997 to March 2000.
Thesis titled Evaluation and Domain of Applicability of
Analytical Methods for Optical Solitons in Dispersion
- Master in eBusiness at U.L.B (January 2001 to October 2001)
- Succeeded in
in April 99 with a score of 660 (more than 97% of the maximum
- Good knowledge of Japanese (I have been in Japan from October 1996 to
2000). I passed the Japanese Proficiency Test, level 2.
- Became member of Mensa
Classic school ( Latin (6 years), Greek (1 year), Mathematics) in the
'Lycee Emile Jacqmain' in Brussels.
Special prize 'Jenny Lagasse' (for a student gifted in science) of 20.000
I also participated in:
- Some contests (National mathematics Olympiads (7th place),
National physics Olympiads (First place, two years),
National chemistry Olympiads (4th place),
French mathematical games (regional final)).
- Extra scientific courses: ESPOIR:organized by Solvay,
'Ateliers du Savoir' organized by ULB (Université Libre de Bruxelles)
- Others courses: Language courses (Dutch and English in Belgium and in England),
German courses during one year.
- IBM Challenge (contest oriented to general knowledge). Prize: one IBM
PS/1 for the school
- International physics Olympiads (1990: Groeningen; 1991: Cuba)
- One month in the USA in a scientific laboratory of the University of
Berkeley (San Francisco) to make data processing programs.
- Work at Olivetti during one month in 1992 (editorial work
of documentation about the network products of Olivetti), and one
month at CTS in 1995 (programming under Excel and Access)
I'm very interested in computers, physics and mathematics.
I like traveling ( Europe, Cuba, USA, Rumania, Japan (6
weeks + 3.5 years)...)
My favorite sports are swimming, riding and skiing.
I like wind-surfing, diving and sailing too, but I practice those
sports only exceptionally. But my favorite time is the one I
spend with my friends,
whatever we do. I particularly enjoy time spent with my fiancée